The Raspberry Pi Camera Module is a custom designed add-on for Raspberry Pi. It attaches to Raspberry Pi by way of one of the small sockets on the board upper surface. This interface uses the dedicated CSi interface, designed especially for interfacing to cameras.
The board itself is tiny, at around 25mm x 20mm x 9mm. It also weighs just over 3g, making it perfect for mobile or other applications where size and weight are important. It connects to Raspberry Pi by way of a short ribbon cable.
The sensor itself has a native resolution of 5 megapixel, and has a fixed focus lens onboard. In terms of still images, the camera is capable of 2592 x 1944 pixel static images, and also supports 1080p30, 720p60 and 640x480p60/90 video.
The camera is supported in the latest version of Raspbian, Raspberry Pi's preferred operating system.
The Raspberry Pi Camera Board Features:
- Fully Compatible with Both the Model A, Model B and Model B+ Raspberry Pi
- 5MP Omnivision 5647 Camera Module
- Still Picture Resolution: 2592 x 1944
- Video: Supports 1080p @ 30fps, 720p @ 60fps and 640x480p 60/90 Recording
- 15-pin MIPI Camera Serial Interface - Plugs Directly into the Raspberry Pi Board
- Size: 20 x 25 x 9mm
- Weight 3g