Further details regarding the features and configuration are provided in the attached datasheet.
The potentiometer connections need to be provided only to run the driver and motor in Mode0 analog speed control mode. Only for analog mode connect ENA (Pin 4) to GND (Pin 8) to enable motor. This encoder color coding is for High Precision Encoder Motor and for Quad Encoder Motor please check color coding from product page of motor.
Things to be noted
1. Make sure all the motor drives connection are as shown in the diagrma available in the manual for all the mode.
2. Check for any loose connection of drive with the motor before running the motor with the drive
3.If you are using more than one drive with with one master device, make sure the slave id of all the drives are different.
4. Double check power connection before connecting it to the drive, as the drive does not have reverse connection protection it will damage the drive.
5. When using the drive with arduino, disconnecte the drive supply, upload the code and reconnecte the supply everytime you upload the code.
6. Write the correct LPR value of your motor to the drive.